Soylent 1.0 Update
- We recently put a brief hold on shipping, which has since resumed
- Early recipients of Soylent 1.0 indicated they were quite happy with the taste, texture, and ease of Soylent, but some experienced side effects including flatulence and headaches
- We took some time to work closely with customers to better define the circumstances under which these side effects were occurring and found the potential for issues can be significantly reduced by introducing Soylent 1.0 slowly into the diet and adhering to some basic consumption principles (listed below)
- We have updated the instructions for using Soylent 1.0 and are working to ensure Soylent mitigates these concerns in our next formulation
- We are shipping Soylent 1.0 as fast as possible and would like to thank our backers for their feedback and partnership in pioneering new food
In the beginning of July, we briefly stopped shipping while we evaluated reports from the community of physical side effects, mostly in the form of flatulence. We elected not to inform our backers until we had more information on the scope of the problem. It was painful for us to withhold the reasons why we stopped shipping, but we needed to ensure we had a plan in place rather than resorting to speculation.
We spent the past few weeks listening to our customers in order to better define the circumstances under which an issue might occur, in conjunction with obtaining a more nuanced understanding of the physiological mechanisms involved. We would like to thank the backers that have already received Soylent 1.0 for their feedback via the discourse community, social media, surveys, and direct outreach. With your help we have been able to quickly ensure that the Soylent 1.0 experience is improved for everyone going forward.
Currently backer orders (placed before 5/6/14) for 1 month of Soylent are shipping.
Optimizing the Soylent Experience
Our research found that switching immediately to a predominantly Soylent-based diet was the most common source of customer issues. The flatulence issue seems to most drastically impact backers going from never having Soylent to immediately using Soylent for > 60% of their diet. Dehydration and lower-than-usual sodium have also impacted some backers that are physically active or had a sodium-rich diet prior to switching to a Soylent-focused diet.
Based on these findings, we are confident that the potential for physical issues when using Soylent can be greatly reduced by introducing Soylent 1.0 more slowly into the diet and adhering to some basic consumption principles.
To mitigate potential digestive concerns:
1. Do not consume Soylent as your predominant source of food without easing into it slowly to allow your body and gut bacteria time to adjust. This should take at least 3-5 days and in some cases longer.
2. If you experience digestive issues, try drinking Soylent more slowly and over a longer period of time during each meal.
3. Over-the-counter digestive enzymes (Beano®) and simethicone (Gas-X®) can help reduce these issues.
Concerning possible hyponatremia (low sodium) or dehydration:
1. Soylent provides slightly less sodium per day than necessary. If you experience headaches or tiredness we recommend adding ¼ teaspoon table salt per pouch of Soylent.
2. The IOM recommends 2.7-3.7L+ of water per day depending on build and activity level. Soylent provides 1.6L meaning you must consume a significant amount of water in addition to Soylent.
All shipments of Soylent 1.0 leaving our facilities after July 30 will contain an updated instructions booklet with more guidance on how to best incorporate Soylent into your diet.
In the interim, here is a link to a digital version of the new instructions.
For those that have already received Soylent 1.0, please use the link above in place of any box inserts.
Soylent is continuously evolving within the emerging nutritionally complete foods space. We are rapidly iterating on the product and working quickly to incorporate additional features into our next release to proactively mitigate digestive concerns.
We continue to ship Soylent 1.0 as fast as possible and will provide updates as we reach key milestones within our shipping queue.
Thank You and Contact Information
We are, and always have been, truly grateful to you, our backers, for enabling us to make Soylent 1.0 a reality. Thank you for being a Soylent Pioneer - without you this product, community, and developing category of foods would not exist.
If you have any questions about your specific order or would like a refund, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order details. As a reminder, we are not able to answer individual requests for the date a particular order will ship or the overall status of our shipping queue. We will continue to update regarding status of and changes to our shipping process via email and blog.