Soylent is a simple and affordable nutritional drink that has everything the healthy body needs.Order Soylent
Current Production and Fulfillment Status
Our efforts to meet the overwhelming demand for Soylent 1.0 have been paying off: last month, we increased our shipping rate over 500%, and have now shipped over 200,000 pouches of Soylent 1.0!
Ramping up our shipping has been a long process and we couldn’t have done it without the patience and understanding of our backers. Thanks to all of you — we are grateful for the opportunity to provide balanced, easy nutrition to so many excellent individuals.
We want to give a more detailed update on where we currently stand in terms of both fulfillment and production:
- Virtually all crowdfunding orders for ≥1 month of Soylent 1.0 have been shipped, and we have started shipping 2 and 3 week crowdfunding orders.
- Given our current Soylent 1.0 stock and shipping rate, we are confident that we will finish all domestic crowdfunding orders in the next 4-5 weeks. We are confident of maintaining (or increasing) our shipping rate over the next month, but this is an estimate.
- To ensure that we send Soylent orders to the right place, we have begun to send address confirmation emails to some customers a few weeks before their Soylent 1.0 order ships. These have proven highly effective, and our rate of misaddressed shipments has dropped significantly.
- Once we have completed shipping all crowdfunding orders, we will begin shipping ecommerce orders and subscriptions (placed 5/6/14 and later) in the order they were received.
- Our manufacturer is currently finishing up the second major batch production of Soylent. The next production run is currently being coordinated and moving along according to plan.
- We are in the final stages of a Soylent 1.0 shipping box redesign. Look for a more size-efficient box shipping soon!
- We’ve made an update to the resealable pouches used for Soylent 1.0. The new pouches will have improved powder-resistant zippers and will begin shipping inside the new boxes.
- Feedback from customers has been incredibly useful, and we are working continuously to incorporate your experiences into future Soylent product updates. Thank you to those that have tried the product and told us about their experiences!
The best part of getting Soylent 1.0 into more hands (and stomachs) has been seeing all the different ways that people incorporate it into their lives. Our #SoylentPioneers are discovering new purposes, preparation methods, and places to drink Soylent every day! Check them out here.
We will contact customers directly via email if any updates are needed to ensure their order ships normally. If you have a crowdfunding order for 1 month of Soylent and have not received a shipping notification email, please email email@example.com.
Soylent Shipping Update + 100k Milestone
We’ve been working hard on shipping orders, and are pleased to share that over 100,000 pouches of Soylent 1.0 have been delivered to our backers!
That’s 200,000,000 kcal (enough to feed a 150 lb. male for over 250 years!), and means that we are getting close to finishing the shipment of backer orders of one month and greater.
We have identified some orders that may require updated shipping information, and over the next several weeks we will be emailing these customers asking to confirm their address. Please keep an eye out for an address confirmation email — but if you do not receive one, rest assured your order will ship normally.
Soylent t-shirts will ship today and Monday and hoodies will be sent in the next few weeks. To be notified when this merchandise is available for purchase on our site, please sign up here.
Thank you again for your patience and we are excited to hear more of your stories as we ship Soylent 1.0. We look forward to sharing another update on our crowdfunding campaign fulfillment progress in the next few weeks.
Soylent 1.0 Update
- We recently put a brief hold on shipping, which has since resumed
- Early recipients of Soylent 1.0 indicated they were quite happy with the taste, texture, and ease of Soylent, but some experienced side effects including flatulence and headaches
- We took some time to work closely with customers to better define the circumstances under which these side effects were occurring and found the potential for issues can be significantly reduced by introducing Soylent 1.0 slowly into the diet and adhering to some basic consumption principles (listed below)
- We have updated the instructions for using Soylent 1.0 and are working to ensure Soylent mitigates these concerns in our next formulation
- We are shipping Soylent 1.0 as fast as possible and would like to thank our backers for their feedback and partnership in pioneering new food
In the beginning of July, we briefly stopped shipping while we evaluated reports from the community of physical side effects, mostly in the form of flatulence. We elected not to inform our backers until we had more information on the scope of the problem. It was painful for us to withhold the reasons why we stopped shipping, but we needed to ensure we had a plan in place rather than resorting to speculation.
We spent the past few weeks listening to our customers in order to better define the circumstances under which an issue might occur, in conjunction with obtaining a more nuanced understanding of the physiological mechanisms involved. We would like to thank the backers that have already received Soylent 1.0 for their feedback via the discourse community, social media, surveys, and direct outreach. With your help we have been able to quickly ensure that the Soylent 1.0 experience is improved for everyone going forward.
Currently backer orders (placed before 5/6/14) for 1 month of Soylent are shipping.
Optimizing the Soylent Experience
Our research found that switching immediately to a predominantly Soylent-based diet was the most common source of customer issues. The flatulence issue seems to most drastically impact backers going from never having Soylent to immediately using Soylent for > 60% of their diet. Dehydration and lower-than-usual sodium have also impacted some backers that are physically active or had a sodium-rich diet prior to switching to a Soylent-focused diet.
Based on these findings, we are confident that the potential for physical issues when using Soylent can be greatly reduced by introducing Soylent 1.0 more slowly into the diet and adhering to some basic consumption principles.
To mitigate potential digestive concerns:
1. Do not consume Soylent as your predominant source of food without easing into it slowly to allow your body and gut bacteria time to adjust. This should take at least 3-5 days and in some cases longer.
2. If you experience digestive issues, try drinking Soylent more slowly and over a longer period of time during each meal.
3. Over-the-counter digestive enzymes (Beano®) and simethicone (Gas-X®) can help reduce these issues.
Concerning possible hyponatremia (low sodium) or dehydration:
1. Soylent provides slightly less sodium per day than necessary. If you experience headaches or tiredness we recommend adding ¼ teaspoon table salt per pouch of Soylent.
2. The IOM recommends 2.7-3.7L+ of water per day depending on build and activity level. Soylent provides 1.6L meaning you must consume a significant amount of water in addition to Soylent.
All shipments of Soylent 1.0 leaving our facilities after July 30 will contain an updated instructions booklet with more guidance on how to best incorporate Soylent into your diet.
For those that have already received Soylent 1.0, please use the link above in place of any box inserts.
Soylent is continuously evolving within the emerging nutritionally complete foods space. We are rapidly iterating on the product and working quickly to incorporate additional features into our next release to proactively mitigate digestive concerns.
We continue to ship Soylent 1.0 as fast as possible and will provide updates as we reach key milestones within our shipping queue.
Thank You and Contact Information
We are, and always have been, truly grateful to you, our backers, for enabling us to make Soylent 1.0 a reality. Thank you for being a Soylent Pioneer - without you this product, community, and developing category of foods would not exist.
If you have any questions about your specific order or would like a refund, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order details. As a reminder, we are not able to answer individual requests for the date a particular order will ship or the overall status of our shipping queue. We will continue to update regarding status of and changes to our shipping process via email and blog.
Shipping update 6/20
Orders placed before 5/6: Currently shipping orders for 1 month of Soylent.
Orders placed after 5/6: Shipping in 10-12 weeks from order date.
The shipping queue for orders is determined by order size and order date. We are managing our reorder rate by shipping larger orders first, since they will last longer — this gives us more time to ship out orders before having to also ship reorders. After we finish shipping 1 month orders, smaller orders (3, 2, 1 weeks) will begin shipping (again, based on order size).
If you ordered a total of more than 1 months of Soylent prior to 4/25, and have not received a shipment confirmation email, please email email@example.com using the subject line My 1+ month order.
Shipping update 6/3
Orders placed before 5/6: Currently shipping orders for 2 months of Soylent.
Orders placed after 5/6: Shipping in 10-12 weeks from order date.
If you ordered a total of more than 2 months of Soylent prior to 4/25, and have not received a shipment confirmation email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line My 2+ month order.
Shipping Update 5/23
We have finished shipping all orders larger than 12 weeks, and are currently shipping 9-12 week orders.*
We are working to increase our fulfillment rate, and every preorder (and new order, and re-order) will be shipped as soon as possible. Starter kit shipment tracking emails will be the first specific update you receive about your order. Starter kits will be shipped to customers 1-3 weeks before their Soylent order ships. Currently, some backers may receive their starter kits and Soylent orders simultaneously.
Due to time constraints, individual requests for order shipping status will not be addressed by the Soylent team. Please email email@example.com only if you have urgent concerns that would impact your order’s fulfillment (such as changes to your shipping address). We will respond as quickly as possible only if there are any issues with your order that need to be addressed. Otherwise, please rest assured that your order will be shipped ASAP.
We are truly thankful for the patience, enthusiasm, and support of everyone who has pre-ordered Soylent 1.0. We look forward to getting Soylent 1.0 to you as soon as possible.
*If you ordered more than 12 weeks of Soylent before April 25th and have not received a tracking notification email, please contact us.
Soylent Shipping Update 5/16
Our current fulfillment status:
All 16+ week orders shipped.
Shipping 12-15 week orders currently
Updates will be posted when we begin shipping each major pledge level (2 month, 1 month, 2 week, 1 week). Inquiries about individual order ship dates will be referred to the latest shipping update.
We are working to increase our fulfillment rate, and every preorder (and new order, and re-order) will be shipped as soon as possible.
Starter kit shipment tracking emails will be the first specific update you receive about your order. Starter kits will be shipped to customers 1-3 weeks before their Soylent order ships. Currently, some backers may receive their starter kits and Soylent orders simultaneously.
We understand that the receipt of your Soylent 1.0 order may entail some amount of preparation, and hope that starter kit shipping notifications will provide sufficient forewarning for most customers.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have other concerns about your order. We will respond if there are any issues with your order that need to be addressed, otherwise please rest assured that your order will be shipped ASAP.
We launched the Soylent crowdfunding campaign almost one year ago, and up to this point we have been as open as possible about specifics details of our operations.
Over the past months, we have shared internal information including revenue, sales, product development, and investments. We did this not only because of the clear value in transparency, but also because we think building a business from scratch is a cool and interesting process, and were excited to share it with all of you.
Starting today, we are going to be much more deliberate in our distribution of internal operations information and what announcements we make will be of much greater certainty than to date. In the past, we have made projections based on operational processes that were not finalized. Furthermore, we have not been sufficiently explicit regarding their incidence. This trend has created confusion and frustration among our backers, for which we apologize.
In light of this, we will not be making any further operational updates that concern possible future activities. Updates will address the current status of operations, rather than future possibilities.
Thanks again for the patience, enthusiasm, and support of everyone who has preordered Soylent 1.0.
Soylent Update 5/10
Fulfillment continued this week, and we will continue to scale up shipment volume over the rest of May. You will receive a shipment notification email when your starter kit ships, and another when your Soylent order does.
We understand that these delays are frustrating and are doing everything we can to fulfill your orders as quickly as possible. Thank you again for your patience and support.
It’s been an exciting week at Soylent:
Some misc additional updates:
- We are working to add bitcoin processing to our new site, hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks.
- We’re still getting scattered reports of different bugs on the site. If you see anything that looks wrong when you visit, please let us know! Please send bug reports to email@example.com, and make sure to include screenshots and browser version information.
- New subscribers will be charged for their first delivery of Soylent, but no further charges will be made until after that delivery is made. First deliveries should be made 10-12 weeks after ordering.
2 months of Soylent arriving at HQ
Soylent Website Launch
Now that Soylent 1.0 is shipping, we are excited to release the new http://soylent.me website!
The new site offers two different ways of acquiring Soylent 1.0: one time purchases and subscriptions. Over the past year, many backers have asked for a subscription option. Soylent subscriptions are a fantastic way to ensure that you always have Soylent when you need it. With options for 1, 2 or 4 weeks of Soylent delivered monthly, a wide range of customers will be able to receive Soylent at a rate that matches their consumption.
You will notice that prices for some quantities of Soylent are higher than the crowdfunding campaign. These changes were necessary in order to ensure that ongoing Soylent production is economically viable, since the original crowdfunding prices did not take several important factors into account:
- Starter kits. The prices used in the crowdfunding campaign did not include a starter kit. During our beta program we realized that the pitcher and scoop were vital for successful use of the product and decided to give them to our crowdfunding backers free of charge.
- Shipping costs. A week of Soylent is about seven pounds, and a month is thirty pounds. We have negotiated competitive rates with FedEx, but they’re still higher than our original estimates.
- Ingredients costs. We established the original Soylent campaign prices before the Soylent 1.0 formula was finalized, and these new prices better reflect the costs of Soylent’s raw ingredients. The ingredients used in Soylent 1.0 are also of higher quality than those that Rob originally used to make Soylent at home.
Because of the high volume of pre-orders that we are still working on fulfilling, orders placed by new customers on the site will ship in 10-12 weeks. Customers who have already received their first Soylent order will receive any reorders in 1-2 weeks. Updates to our shipping progress will be posted on blog.soylent.me and @soylent.
As we switch over to our new site, we would like to thank Crowdtilt and Backerkit for providing a solid crowdfunding platform that allowed us to concentrate on the most important aspects of our business — making Soylent 1.0 the best product possible. Glass and Marker did an amazing job on our new video, and we would also like to thank OKFocus for their partnership in designing our new site and working tirelessly to integrate the various pieces necessary to ensure a seamless online experience.