Soylent Manufacturing & Ship Date
It’s been about a month since our crowdfunding campaign officially ended, and we are excited to update all of you on the progress we have made, and the hurdles we still must overcome in order to begin shipping Soylent!
To answer the most obvious question on your mind — we will not be ready to ship Soylent in August, and are pushing our ship date back to the end of September. We understand this is disappointing news, but please read on to learn why this delay is an essential one to get Soylent to everyone who has contributed:
The reasons are twofold:
1) Safety — the manufacturing process includes several rounds of extensive testing on the ingredients and final product, tests that take time and cannot be rushed. Your safety is our highest priority.
2) Volume — Most new supplement companies have an initial manufacturing run of 5,000-10,000 units. In order to satisfy all of your orders, our initial run is in the hundreds of thousands of units! It takes more time to find suppliers who can provide raw ingredients at that volume, more time to get dozens of pallets of raw ingredients shipped to the facility, and more time to test all those ingredients.
While we certainly wish that Soylent was shipping to all of you yesterday, we remain convinced that the additional time taken at this stage of development will result in a product that is of the highest quality, purity, and safety.
Please continue reading to learn more about the progress we have made, and the manufacturing process we are about to initiate:
To manufacture Soylent, we have contracted with a top FDA-certified nutritional laboratory and manufacturing facility, known in the industry as a Copacker. They source the raw materials, ensure that all ingredients exceed our specifications, then blend and package Soylent.
In the past 8 weeks, we have:
- Engaged several possible copackers and evaluated their facilities and capabilities.
- Settled on a copacker — RFI Ingredients, based in New York and California.
- Began the formula finalization process, which includes:
- Collaborating with the copacker’s food scientists on our current formula.
- Refining our current formula with input from our beta testers.
- Rapid iteration of our formula in our own lab, optimizing for:
- Nutritional content
This brings us to today. We are excited to be on the edge of officially finalizing our formula, and beginning the manufacturing process.
This process, outlined in detail below, is a rigorously controlled and labor-intensive one. We have been working as quickly as we can, but the manufacturing timeline is rigid, to ensure adequate testing and quality control throughout the manufacturing process.
Your safety and health is our highest concern, and we want to guarantee that the product we ship to your homes has undergone the maximum amount of research, testing, and refinement.
Please see the below infographic for more information on the overall manufacturing timeline.
Also, we will be collecting your shipping addresses in 2-3 weeks, so watch out for an email from the Soylent team! At that time you will also have the opportunity to specify the type of blend (male/female) you’d like, tshirt size (if applicable), and we’re planning on having the ability to order additional Soylent or bottles.